Languages and Learning Environments
The following environments and languages have been suggested as good for teaching kids
- Shoes (Desktop apps for Mac, Win, Linux. Easy to create graphics and get started quickly.)
- Try Ruby One teacher said this wasn't "fun & easy" enough for middle- and high-school kids, but great for motivated self-study.
- Processing (wicked cool graphics/animation programming environment, based on Java language without the normal Java overhead)
- Karel (taught at stanford intro CS classes with a Robot!)
- Alice (3D drag-and-drop programming environment for telling a story, playing an interactive game, or a video to share on the web.
- YoYoGames (drag-and-drop game-making tool)
- Scratch (snap together blocks to make stories, games, & animations)